Thursday, June 25, 2009

The maestro and his music

Source http://www.thehindu.com/fr/2009/02/20/stories/2009022050560200.htm

The maestro and his music

RANJAN DAS GUPTA

Pandit Ravi Shanker looks back at his film compositions.


I did not appreciate the popularisation of a divine instrument like the sitar though
I have highest regards for Salil (Chowdhury) as a composer.

Photo: AP

Stringing divinity: Pandit Ravi Shanker performing with his daughter Anoushka in Kolkata.

Pandit Ravi Shanker was recently in Kolkata to perform live with daughter Anoushka Shanker. As he himself says, “This is in all probability is my last concert in Kolkata. I am not keeping well and I don’t think my health will permit another visit to the City Of Joy.”

As he sips a glass of water in his luxury suite at a posh Kolkata hotel, the sitar maestro says, “You are asking me to speak about my compositions in films, is that not too stale a subject? I have not composed any film music in the past two and half decades. Bright, young talents like A.R. Rahman and Shantanu Moitra can speak much more about this aspect of filmmaking.”

On persuasion, he recollects, “I was introduced to films by the late Chetan Anand in ‘Neecha Nagar’, India’s first anti-imperialist film. The highly imaginative Chetan possessed a keen ear for classical melodies and used my sitar counters very well along with some dialectical montages in the film. He gave me the freedom to compose and did not interfere in my work. We again teamed successfully for the background score of his ‘Aandhiyan’ along with Ustad Ali Akbar Khan and Pannalal Ghosh.”

Apu trilogy

Ravi Shanker composed the tunes for K.A. Abbas’s “Dharti Ke Lal” based on Bijon Bhattacharya’s “Nabanna” after “Neecha Nagar” in 1946. Recalls Shanker, “‘Dharti Ke Lal’ required music with a tragic temperament as it was based on the Bengal famine. During those days our IPTA (Indian Peoples’ Theatre Association ) background was highly instrumental in shaping our work ideologies.” His greatest challenge though was to score the music for Ray’s Apu Trilogy in the mid-‘50s, which ushered in a revolution of sorts in film music. Hearing his compositions for the Ray masterpieces, Elia Kazan, the Greek-American award-winning film and theatre director and co-founder of the influential Actors Studio in New York, had commented, “A new genre of film music, fresh, melodious yet objective has been introduced by Ravi Shanker and his combination with the inimitable Satyajit Ray.”

The stalwart responds, “Here was a director who would never compromise nor allow me to go overboard. He was confident and rigid about exactly what he required from me or any of his composers. Ray himself was an outstanding composer and music sessions with him are still unforgettable. For the Apu Trilogy, he extracted the true essence of rural Bengal from me musically. Similarly, for ‘Parash Pathar’, he brought out of me music with a comic yet subtle touch which had ample depths. That was Ray, a director who believed in musical visualisation at its peak.”

Ravi Shanker scored popular numbers rendered by Mohammed Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar and Mukesh for “Anuradha” and “Godan” too. He comments, “Both the films required sober, touching music and neither director Hrishikesh Mukherjee nor Trilok Jaitley asked me to move on the populist track whilst scoring their music.” The ustad had criticised Salil Chowdhury’s usage of the sitar counter in the song “O Sajna, Barkha Bahar Ayi” in “Parakh”. He clarifies, “I did not appreciate the popularisation of a divine instrument like the sitar though I have highest regards for Salil as a composer.” Ravi Shanker remembers, “What talents the Indian film music had in the ’40s, ’50s and the ’60s. Naushad, Anil Biswas, S.D. Burman, Madan Mohan and Shanker Jaikishan belonged to an era when melody was the king. I was internally inspired to compete with these stalwarts whilst composing music for films. Some of their creations are much more popular than any of mine. Who can forget Naushad’s ‘Mohe Bhul Gaye Sawariya’ from ‘Baiju Bawra’ and ‘Katon Se Khich Ke Ye Anchal’ by S.D. Burman in ‘Guide’?”

By the time he scored for Gulzar’s “Meerabai” and Mrinal Sen’s “Genesis”, Ravi Shanker understood that he was losing his form as a film music composer. He analyses, “Film music is mainly dependant on scripts and special situations. It has constraints. Performing classical music has always been of much more interest to me. After ‘Genesis’, I decided to call it a day in films.”

Mrinal Sen, who directed “Genesis”, says, “I told Ravi Shanker to come out of the IPTA mould of music for ‘Genesis’. After seeing the first show of the film at Cannes, he severely criticised me for not using his music counters and experimenting with natural sounds instead. I politely explained to him that cinema is not only background score and during many sequences in ‘Genesis’, natural sounds were more essential than his compositions.”

Ravi Shanker agrees, “Today, I feel Mrinal was right in his assessment. Ali Akbar Khan stopped scoring for films after ‘Khudito Pashan’. Vilayat Khan only composed music for ‘Jalsaghar’. I should have stopped after the ’60s. Sitar jhankars during a live performance are really divine for me.”

Printer friendly page
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

No comments: